8.12.2009

155 emails

Today I sent 155 business-related emails and I can't remember the content of a single one I'd made plans to have lunch with my brother but by the time I'd finished emailing it was 3pm my brother was gracious and agreed to meet me for a late late lunch I finally got underway but on the way I hit a flash flood and got there at more like 4 by that point my sister her son and our kid brother had arrived and I sent a few more emails and then somebody wanted to talk on the phone in reply to the email so we talked on the phone and made plans to talk longer on the phone tomorrow then I set my phone and my computer on fire extinguishing the fire in a cloud of piss and fury and we all went for something like early dinner.

What it was was excellent Chinese the home-style bean curd perfectly soft my siblings and I don't always sit together in one place these days there are usually thousands of miles preventing that I was mad not to have the brain space to focus on this rare rainbow comet confluence and this is why I dislike the architecture of Microsoft software so much because I have unwittingly come to live inside it and in my sent items is a sad history of affirmations logistical coordinates occasional flashes of humor or warmth recommendations for fixing words fixing words and grovelingly polite requests for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I was at just about the mental level where smiling and making goofy faces at my nephew felt ambitious but achievable then in a flash he transcended my mental age and wanted more than I could possibly provide conversationally my brothers and my sister started a game where in at least one word per sentence you alter the pronunciation to make that word sound utterly different though still recognizable, to avoid cliche. It was almost nice to be so slow and fried I couldn't drive the game much myself, because I could just appreciate how smart, how present, how memorable they were.