11.20.2008

in praise of mediocrity





In pro sports they call it parity, on Pitchfork they call it a 7.6 and comb it for stray nuances. At work it's sewn into the culture, so when anything bold or fresh happens we raise our eyebrows and scurry to a Microsoft help file for shelter. And every day some new novelist or worse poet emerges to present a new origami version of the same glinting and fragrant piece of crap.

In politics it hangs in rolls around the Clinton middle, on the Greyhound bus I take to work they actually pump extra quantities of it into the air as a kind of perfume or stimulant. At closing time when folks head home the office parks and parking lots make perfunctory love and by midnight their new spawn have birthed and laid further waste to the landscape. Look at them now, curled up crammed together so thick that in the sodium haze you can barely make out the moon.

My dear, what I really want to say is of course I'll attend your wedding, thank you so much the invite. The save-the-date card will honor my refrigerator always, and when the warranty on that expires I'll get strong clear tape or laminant and fix it to the dishwasher, so that whether loading or unloading I can remember that blessed day. Even if you get divorced I'll refuse to acknowledge it and continue to serenade the milestones as they cascade lovingly by. I'll shout it from real rooftops, hire mariachis, bake anniversary cakes that no matter where you move or hide will find you just in time.

It's strange though, as gushing as I am about the whole scene, as much as I write to praise your once and future happiness, now that you and R. are getting hitched and leaving town (forever and ever one hopes) I feel like I have woken up 50 pounds lighter, as though one of the many blocks against magic and artful function in this world has been lifted. Your presence had become a nagging but almost invisible pain, but had become so commonplace I didn't recognize it. It'll make my world a better place to have you far away.

When looking at wedding dresses keep in mind that some dresses will be better suited to some weddings than others. The type of wedding dress to choose will partly depend on the type of wedding you will be having; your wedding could be formal or informal, take place indoors or outdoors. It could be a grand occasion in a massive cathedral, a sophisticated evening event with a civil ceremony, a simple church wedding, or a beach wedding in the tropics. This will help to inform your choice but should by no means limit it.

There are many wedding dresses to choose from for all types of weddings, so it should not be difficult finding one you like and that fits the occasion.