6.09.2020

an archer's perspective on the 2020 election

My parents weren't keen on me becoming an archer. More of a prior age's pursuit, they said. But when I was seven I made States. At 11 I won Worlds.  And they weren't laughing then. They were a little tired of driving me places, tbh.

Once I mastered their game I started playing my own. See how close I could get to the target without hitting it. When it was really close it dinged the outer edge. Otherwise it was just messed up honor system, me telling myself what I wanted to hear, and that grew tiresome.

With the bow string taut and poised, focus on failure.

You can play a similar game with a real live person. It's better at night when you know more likely they're going by feeling than by the incongruous sight of you in 13th century garb out of the back of your truck. Too close and you've committed a genuine crime. Too far and they don't notice. When the arrow's just off target, they know it and they'll tell you. There's always a tell. 

I live in a swing state -- Wisconsin -- but I don't much think it matters at this point. I know who I hate and who I want to like. 

What I'm mostly trying to decide is what I'm going to write in for my vote. It'd be classic to pick something totally puerile, "C. Virus." Or to pretend votes can be split to reflect being the last American undecided, 0.5 Trump 0.5 Biden. Or maybe I'll vote for myself -- the arrow leaving the bow, continuing a full rotation of the earth and getting me. Maybe, really, I'll pick the lighter poison, buy my kids a bit more time before the world tips to full fireball and the whole enterprise is fucked.