8.30.2010

Jon Runyan

Dear Congressman Adler:

Despite your negligent and doubtless poorly calculated failure to vote yes for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) this past spring, and the questions it raises about your vision and your fortitude, I wish you the best for the upcoming election. As such, I am writing to suggest a line of argument for use in sharpening your campaign.

It would be relatively easy (and delicious for your electorate) if you were to pull a Swift Boat turn and use Mr. Runyan's years of service against him. Specifically, I suggest that you make his time on the Eagles a liability. It is my sense that this could be achieved even without resorting to a renumeration of the team's NFC Championship history.

My specific suggestion is that you focus your campaign on the decision by the Eagles organization not to bring Mr. Runyan back to the team last year, despite his interest in returning. I would suggest running a picture of yourself hugging a kitten, as if to defend her from an onrushing pass rush, also standing in front of a woman or women aged 80 or greater, on one side of the flyer. On the other side, I would suggest messaging in block letters to the effect of:

In fall 2009, the Philadelphia Eagles considered Jon Runyan for an open offensive line position, after 9 years with the team. They ultimately decided no.

Who would know better if not the Eagles? You might ask the Houston Oilers, where he began his career in 1996, but they no longer exist. This fall, vote with the Eagles: vote no for Jon Runyan, and yes for me, Congressman John Adler.

Congressman John Adler: Even though I incomprehensibly didn't vote for ACA, I'm still your guy.

One love,
Congressman John Adler
The Campaign to Reelect Congressman John Adler

Congressman Adler, I trust that you may wish to make slight typographic or font modifications to this letter. That would be fine. I am free most days to review any changes you might make; but given the urgency of your campaign, please do not hold up the final draft on my account.

I wish you the best with the campaign, and whatever your future career plans may be.

Respectfully,
T. Everett Shrubkin
Moorestown, NJ